Sunday, May 5, 2013

Running in Spain...Madrid

I have been quiet since Boston. I have thoughts on this, but not quite yet.

In the mean time, please join me as SD & I celebrate our 20th anniversary with a trip through southern Spain :). When SD suggested this trip, back in December, it was actually a running trip....a very cool running trip. However, the company cancelled it because they were short 1 person. I was torqued briefly, but then, since we both had the time booked off work & Grandma agreed to come stay with Thing 1&2, I went ahead and booked a trip following a similar itinerary. Less running & more relaxing & sightseeing...but still running! Awesome way to explore a new city!

Despite US Airways best efforts (SD warned me not to route us through Philly, but did I listen...of course not) we finally arrived in Madrid only a couple hours late. No one was more surprised than is when our bags actually made it too!

After checking in at our hotel we explored the Puerto del Sol area & had some lunch. SD wanted a nap so I threw on my sneakers & headed out to explore. The streets & sidewalks are very crowded in the afternoon & I had to stop to take a ton of pictures but I finally made it to Il Retiro Park, which is basically a runners paradise in the middle of the city.

Refreshed from a run we headed out to explore & enjoy the tapas scene. I am quite enjoying the Spanish Rioja wine :)

The next day we took a day trip to Toledo. Definitely a place that looks like you've stepped back in time.

As I'm posting from my phone, the first set of pictures are Madrid, the second are from Toledo....enjoy...




















4 comments:

Nelly said...

Already sounds like an awesome trip, running in another country is a great way to see it!

Suz and Allan said...

I'm so jealous! This sounds like a wonderful trip. Allan lived in Spain for two years and I can't wait for us to go visit together. Have a great time!

Anonymous said...

Oh my goodness.. running in Spain!!!!!WOW!!!

Anonymous said...

LOVE Spain, you will have an amazing time. Enjoy!!! We are flying to Jamaica soon and on our way back fly with US Airways through Philly. Should we be worried?