Saturday, September 21, 2013

I have drunk the koolaid...


Just as a preface, my pre-marathon routine is to get a new pair of shoes about a month before my marathon and run in them just enough so they are broken in but fresh. I'm coming up on marathon #5 & went and picked up a new pair of Pure Flow 2's exactly like my old pair and the pair before that. Did not anticipate any sort of difficulty. I could NOT have been more wrong! OMG! The shoes nearly crippled me! I am not kidding...the top of my left foot hurt so much after just a couple short runs that I was seriously worried that I might have a fracture. Something on the left shoe was off and the shoe was bending in such a way as to severely bruise the top o my foot. I couldn't even wear my regular nurse shoes at work last week! 

I switched back to my old shoes (that have 500+ miles on them...yikes!) and they felt ok when I tried a short run. In desperation, I headed to Ithaca to the running store to see if thy could help me. I wasn't about to try the same pair again! I spent over an hour trying shoes and doing laps of the commons until I found something I thought might work. But NUTS, I wanted it just a titch bigger. The very patient owner of the store called their other store and they had my size...phew! It is a bit of a ways away but luckily today's XC meet was close to Binghamton so I was able to finally pick up these:
Newton Energy's

Tomorrow I take them for their inaugural run. Please send some good vibes that they still feel good! I'm only 2 weeks out from Wineglass Marathon!!!

So as I was talking to the guy at the store today, he told me that they have had a ton of quality issues with Brooks shoes lately. Like major defects including shoes being of 2 different heights and misshapen toe boxes! Anyone else have a Brooks shoe issue lately? Sounds to me like it could be a huge problem for them. I've been a loyal Brooks buyer since the Pure Flow line came out but I'm afraid I can't risk ruining my feet again. Sorry Brooks, I wish I could trust you, but I just can't.  :(


6 comments:

Paul said...

Are those the kind that have the big midfoot plugs on the soles? I tried them and I loved the lightness of them bug they really messed with my calves.

The Unexpected Runner said...

They are the new Newtons and the plugs on the front are not as big. Kind of a 'starter' shoe. I'm already a forefoot striker so am hoping the transition is not dramatic.

Rene' said...

I am a huge Newton runner (I am in the Gravity.) Fingers crossed that you have a good run!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I'm in Frankenstein's stability shoes by Saucony. Nothing cute and dainty for me!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

I loved the Pure FLows also but then the 2s came out and were not right, so I strayed away from Brooks too. Those Newtons are pretty, hope you like them!

Jamie said...

Ahh, good luck at Wineglass!! I can't wait to hear how you do. I need to redo Wineglass (as does Mike) because we have some redemption for that course!