Tuesday, April 28, 2015

Shamrock Marathon 2015 - Marathon #8


or how I PR'd when I didn't train to!

I signed up for Virginia Beach's Shamrock Marathon last fall as soon as I realized that it FINALLY fell on a weekend that I don't work.  I even talked my best running friend to sign up too. I had a plan to train to PR. Then I got a stress fracture in my right foot after Wineglass and after much discussion with Coach Heather, decided to train to make it to the start line healthy. As a result, I trained very conservatively. I mean, when I started my training cycle my longest run in 2 months was 4 miles.This has been a bucket list race for me.  I have a history of repeating the same race over and over again.  Seriously.  I had 7 marathons in the bank from 3 races.  I was ready for something new and just plain fun.

March 22, 2015...beautiful!
Fun is what I got! We left early Friday morning in a snowstorm and a 7 hour trip turned into 12...which sucked in so many ways. But we finally made to to snowless Virginia Beach.  I get the hotel booking award for finding a hotel that could not have been more perfect.  I left my room at 8:12am for an 8:30am start with time to spare.  Never ever has marathon morning been easier.

Virginia Beach is every bit as kitsy as you'd imagine but I didn't care.  It was a lovely snow-free paradise.  We hit the hotel bar for drinks and a snack and were in bed early.  We woke up to the sounds of the 8K going past our hotel window on the boardwalk.  I got up to see what was going on and saw all the frontrunners go by! They were smokin' fast! I decided to go harness some race mojo and we got changed to run a shakeout.  I ran an easy 2 mile shakeout along the boardwalk in the opposite direction of the 8k race. We then changed and hit the expo where Trail Buddy renewed her friendship with Bart Yasso and I got some race course advice from him! What a great guy!

Race morning I was up early but headed downstairs to the hotel breakfast for a leisurely meal and chat with fellow runners.  I still had no idea how the day would pan out.  Coach Heather had given me 2 race plan options but both were based on simply trying to break 4:30.  I had only had one 16 mile run that went well and I wasn't really sure what I could pull off.  At the last second I decided to go with the negative split to see if I could do it but overall I just wanted to have fun in the race and enjoy it.  I started out in Corral 3, said goodbye to Trail Buddy and put on my game face.  When I crossed the start line I just went with the flow and what felt easy.  Just keeping it easy as much as possible....there were a lot of miles in front of me. The energy was fierce! So many spectators and volunteers cheering us on! It was great! The first out and back brought us out over a bridge, past a residential area and the aquarium and then through Camp Pendleton where so many soldiers were out to man water stations and cheer us on! It was fantastic!

10K 1:02:47

By the time we got back to the main strip
we were at mile 12 and we got to channel a ton of the energy of the half marathoners crossing the finish line! So awesome! I reached the half feeling stronger than I anticipated.  I decided to just keep plodding along and see what happened.

13.1: 2:10:49 (Much faster than I had planned!) Feeling good.

We headed south now...opposite the last of the half marathoners who were walking it in for the most part.  I tried to cheer them on as best I could.  Suddenly I see the winner coming at me and wouldn't you know, it was Brian Morseman from my hometown! Woohoo for the hometown boy!If that doesn't bring a spring to your step I don't know what will!

Just letting the hammer down now and going for it as long as my body will allow. Bart (yeah we're on a first name basis ;)) told me that wind was coming around 19 so I just figured I would continue to give it as much as I could and see what happened. The stretch out to Fort Story is very slightly up along a long lonely road. It would have been easy to back off....especially when I could feel the first twinges of my knee and then my quad (wtf?!?) starting to burn like crazy. But then I turned into Fort Story and the wind wasn't that bad.

19.3: 3:13:57

In the pain cave knowing a PR is close!
Just before I passed the lighthouse I saw Team Hoyt. What an inspiration! How could I back off? I was really starting to hurt and I did log a couple slower miles but I just tried to push through as much as I could.  As we entered town again the crowds picked up again. I got a lot of support along the last hard 3 miles. People would count down the blocks til we turned to the boardwalk. At this point I knew it would be close but a PR was possible. Then my music died. Almost stopped to figure it out. Told myself I'd be mad if I missed a PR because of it. Off with the earbuds and kept burning the legs as best as I could. I turned the corner to the boardwalk and wouldn't you know it, there was Trail Buddy waiting for me! I gasped that a PR was close and she told me to just GO! And go I did down the longest finish sprint I've ever done. It looked so close. It wasn't. I crossed the line doing an 8 something pace and seriously considered just collapsing into the arms of a medical volunteer.

Finish: 4:23:42
(My Garmin logged my @ 26.41 miles which is a 9:59 pace! My first sub-10 marathon!!!!)

At first I thought I had an 11 second PR. I  looked it up. It was 2 seconds. Seriously. 2 seconds. If anyone ever tells you seconds don't count in a marathon I'm here to say they're wrong. Most fun, most unexpected PR. So very satisfying.

Trail buddy came in behind me and we collected our medals and then the awesome finisher hats and beach towels! Great SWAG!!!! Then it was photos and the best beach party and beer I've ever had. I wasn't sure that 4 free beer was the recovery drink of choice but let me tell you that 3 slid down mighty easily. 

#8 is in the bank. I am seriously considering going back next year to complete the Whale Challenge. So. Much. Fun.


20 comments:

Coy Martinez said...

Wayyy to freaking go!! Sometimes I think that a little under training actually might leave one more refreshed and ready. Or maybe that's my optimistic thinking :) Well done!!

Jamie said...

Congratulations on your PR and being able to run a race you have wanted to for so long!

jawad haider said...

Interesting and important information. It is really beneficial for us. Thanks Health and healthy Diet

Mamdouh said...

شراء اثاث مستعمل بالرياض

شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض

محلات شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض

ارقام شراء الاثاث مستعمل بالرياض

شراء الاثاث المستعمل

شراء اثاث مستعمل

حقين الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض

Anonymous said...

So sweet)))))😊 Interesting)

قمم التميز said...

شركة نقل اثاث
حقين شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
اثاث مستعمل
الاثاث من الاشياء التى نستطيع ان نبذل فية الكثير من الجهد والوقت من اجل ان يتم القيام باعمال النقل من مكان الى اخر سواء الى اى مكان فى المملكة او اى مكان خارج المملكة ، فاعمال النقل من الخدمات التى تبدو لنا انها سهلة وبسيطة الا انة فى نهاية الامر من الخدمات التى تؤدى الى التعرض الى مشاكل كثيرا من الصعب ان يتم القيام بحلها من الكسر والخدش والتلفيات والضياع ،شركة قمم التميز من اهم وافضل شراء اثاث مستعمل
. شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
شركة قمم التميز على وعى كبير باعمال النقل والتى تحقق افضل مستوى من خدمات النقل التى تؤكد ان الاثاث يتم الانتقال من مكان الى اخر دون ان يتم التعرض الى اى مشكلة من اهم الخدمات المقدمة الاتى :- شراء اثاث مستعمل شمال الرياض
1- الاعتماد على افضل النجاريين المتخصصين فى اعمال الفك بطريقة حرفية لان الاثاث يحتاج الى القيام باعمال الفك الى قطع اصغر من الممكن حتى يتم حماية الاثاث من التعرض الى اى تلفيات او ظهور اى عيب فى الاثاث بعد التركيب .
2- تعتمد شركة نقل اثاث على افضل الطرق فى التعبئة والتغليف وتوفر النيلون والحبال والبلاستيك ذات الفقاقيع فى اعمال التغليف للزجاج والتغليف للاثاث والتغليف للمراتب وغيرها من الاشياء المتواجدة فى المكان .
لا تكتفى شركة نقل اثاث بالقيام باعمال النقل فقط بل تهتم باعمال التركيب واعادة الاثاث الى ما كان علية بعد ان تتم اعمال النقل مباشرا . شركات شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
شركة تخزين اثاث
تخزين الاثاث من المهام التى نجتاج الية فى اوقات معينة اثناء الانتقال من شقة الى اخر او القيام بالسفر لفترات طويلة ، فالحرارة المرتفعة والرطوبة والاتربة الناعمة تؤدى الى ظهور التشققات و تؤدى الى التكسير المفاجىء للاخشاب ، فاذا كنت فى حيرة من اعمال النقل فتعاون مع شركة المتخصصة فى اعمال التخزين من الامور التى لابد من القيام بية بطريقة مميزة على ايدى متخصصين فى القيام بهذة الخدمة .
شركة قمم التميز من اهم الشركات التى ارقام شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
تقوم بانشاء مستودعات طبقا لمعاير ذات جودة مميزة والتى تساعد فى الحفاظ على الاثاث ضد اى عيوب او اى مشكلات تظهر مع مرور مدة التخزين بالاضافة الى ان المستودعات مقسمة من الداخل الى اماكن مخصصه للزجاج واماكن مخصصة للاخشاب وهكذا حتى يتم الحفاظ على الاثاث فعليك ان تتعاون وتتواصل مع الارقام المتواجدة على الصفحة . محلات شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياضمن اجل ان تتم الحفاظ على الاثاث ضد اى تغيرات من الممكن ان تحدث ، بالاضافة الى اننا نقدم عقود مميزة فى اعمال التخزين فى مقابل ارخص الاسعار

Unknown said...

The information is very good and very useful. I really like it and I am also waiting for the post information. And do not forget my friends visit my website :) thank you

Obat Kolesterol Tinggi Di Apotik
Obat Stretch Mark Di Apotik
Cara Menguruskan Badan Akibat KB
Obat Penyumbatan Pembuluh Darah Di Otak
Obat Penambah Hormon Estrogen
Cara Menyembuhkan Komplikasi Stroke
Cara Mengobati Syringoma
Obat Tradisional Peluruh Batu Ginjal
Obat Tradisional Gula Darah Tinggi

Mamdouh said...

شراء اثاث مستعمل بالرياض
شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
محلات شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
ارقام الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
حقين الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
شراء اثاث مستعمل
شركة مكافحة حشرات بجدة
مكافحة حشرات بجدة
شراء الاثاث المستعمل بجدة ومكة
شراء اثاث مستعمل بالرياض
شركة شراء اثاث مستعمل بالرياض
ارقام الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
محلات شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
حقين الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض
أعزائنا العملاء ، يمكنكم شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض من خلال متخصصين بشراء الاثاث المستعمل ، حيث نحن قادرين على شراء الاثاث المستعمل لديكم بأعلى الأسعار الممكنة فلدينا خبرة في شراء الاثاث المستعمل تمتد لدى أكثر من عشرون عاما في مجال المتاجرة بالاثاث المستعمل وإعادة تدويره مره أخري بعد صيانته وتنظيفه وإصلاح كافة عيوبه ، كلا منا يحتاج في بعض الأوقات إلى تغيير الديكور الخاص ببيته ليس فقط لديكور المنزل من حيث الشكل وإنما أيضا نحتاج إلى تغيير ديكور الاثاث لدي منازلنا ، وهنا يقع صميم عملنا حيث نقوم نحن بعض التواصل مع أحد مندوبينا بمعاينة الاثاث لديك والتواصل معك لأعلى سعر ممكن لبيعه ثم نقوم باصلح كافة العيوب المتواجدة بالاثاث وإعادة عرضه مرة أخرى لدينا في محلات شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالرياض وخصيصا بالحراج

Good man said...



Please keep updating this blog, it's been too long. Great post! We adore this blog and This information is very good.(Good Man)

SCR888th

ACE333

คนสวย2019 said...

ฉีดเผาผลาญไขมัน
ของใหม่ฉีดลดแฟตที่ปลอดภัยแล้วก็มีคุณภาพที่สุดในโลกที่ศิลปินฮอลลีวู้ดใช้ รับรองคำตอบกับการฉีดลดแฟตที่เหมาะสมที่สุดได้ผลสูงที่สุดในโลกจากอังกฤษ ยุโรป อเมริกาและก็กาหลีตัวยาที่ทรงอำนาจที่สุดในตอนนี้
Hyarulondase
ที่สลายสารที่เติมเต็ม ที่มีส่วนผสมของสารต่างๆอย่างเช่น hayarulonic มีคุณภาพฟุ้งกระจายปฏิบัติภารกิจโดยตรงสำหรับในการลดการกักเก็บน้ำช่วยปรับให้ความสมดุลแก่ผิว
Anti-cellulitic
เผาผลาญไขมันเฉพาะจุดลกเซลล์ลูไลท์ในส่วนเกินด้วยการฉีดตัวยาเข้าไปเผาผลาญไขมันส่วนเกินที่ปรารถนาชูกระชับ ขับออกมาทางระบบน้ำดีได้ผลลัพธ์ที่ไม่ได้มีความแตกต่างจากกการผ่าตัดหรือดูดไขมัน
Meso fat
การผลักดันวิตามินไปสู่ชั้นไขมันเพื่อคุณประโยชน์สำหรับในการลดกระชับรูปร่างให้ได้รูปตามสิ่งที่จำเป็นเป็นกระบวนการลดไขมันแล้วก็ลดเซลูไลท์เฉพาะที่โดยไม่ใช้การผ่าตัด
Body burner
เป็นการีดเผาผลาญไขมันเพื่อลดกระชับรูปร่างหมดทั้งตัวให้ได้รูปตามปรารถนาเป็นกระบวนการลดไขมันตลอดตัวโดยไม่ผ่าตัด
Metabolitisc
เป็นการเผาผลาญไขมันแบบถูกจุดที่พวกเราปรารถนา ข้างหลังฉีดไม่นำไปสู่การบวมจากตัวยาฉีดสลายไขมัน
meso fat

Pankaj Singh said...

Blog post this is nice thanks for share my post.
Jeans Manufacturers in Delhi

Just Info said...

Blog post this is very nice thanks for sharing post.
painting services in delhi

lnwMashow45 said...

wow look so good job

Gclub

Williams said...

Looking great work dear, I really appreciated to you on this quality work. Nice post!! these tips may help me for future.
free amazon gift card codes list

peter thakur said...

Thank you because you have been willing to share information with us. we will always appreciate all you have done here because I know you are very concerned with our. PlayStation VR review

UFA888 said...


This are new articles stylse for you. https://sbo98bet.wixsite.com/sbo98bet/post/%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A1-%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3-ufabet amazin555 http://foxz98bet.over-blog.com/ufabet-6 It might help you to write or think some new idea.
https://dafa98bet.weebly.com/36263617363335883619362636173634359436363585/-ufabet8326348 Thanks for sharing such a wonderful post.
https://w88-com.jimdofree.com/2020/09/01/%E0%B8%AA%E0%B8%A1-%E0%B8%84%E0%B8%A3-ufabet/ I am very glad for reading my articles.

UFA888 said...


This Is Really Useful And Nices Information. ยูฟ่าเบท365
This are such great articles. ยูฟ่าเบท365 This articles can help you to make some new ideas.
https://soccersurfer98.hatenablog.com/entry/2020/09/02/132139?_ga=2.193217001.552343305.1598844608-1286484823.1596077192 I appreciate for reading my blogs.


shaban osama said...

شركة تنظيف فلل بعنيزة

Marim said...


شركة نقل اثاث بالرياض
شركة نقل عفش بجدة
شركة كشف تسربات المياه بالرياض
شراء اثاث مستعمل بالرياض
شراء الاثاث المستعمل بجدة
شراء الاثاث المستعمل بالدمام

ahmedseo said...

يلتزم دكتور سمنة ونحافة الدكتور احمد عبد السلام بتقديم الرعاية الوجدانية مع أقصى درجات الاحترام لاستقلالية مرضاه وكرامتهم. وهو يعتقد أن العلاج الناجح يتطلب التعاون بين الطبيب والمريض، مما يضمن التواصل المفتوح وصنع القرار المشترك. بفضل خبرته وتفانيه، فهو واثق من قدرته على مساعدة المرضى في العثور على أفضل طريق نحو الصحة والرفاهية.