Saturday, January 15, 2011

Tempo runs, speed workouts???? What was I thinking?

So here I am at the end of my first week of 'real' training....not just the get outside, zone out, trotting along at a turtles pace kind of runs that I know & love. No, this week included a tempo run & a speed workout. To say this was a challenge is not an overstatement...I didn't exactly make my goals, but came respectably close. (mental note: review pace times....the calculator used may not be realistic). 

Monday: Goal: 5 mile tempo run @ 10:10 pace :  Actual: 10:22 pace   <this is me doing a happy dance because I've never, EVER, run this fast for 5 whole miles>

Friday: supposed to do 7 miles....was cold, ended up doing 5 @ 11:08 pace....not so good, but not terrible

Saturday: speed workout: 5K @ 9:40 pace....yeah, not so much....but in all honesty, I was pretty darn happy to pull off a 10:11 pace in the blowing snow! Also, did a bit on the bike today...felt good to be back on it.

All in all, a pretty good week. Can I sustain these paces when I'm used to a solid 11:30 mile? I don't know, but I'm going to try.

I'm going to re-attempt a long run tomorrow...7 miles here I come :-)

No comments: