Tuesday, January 4, 2011

The Unexpected Runner: 592 Miles to lofty goals.

I never was a runner. In fact, if you asked anyone who’s ever known me for a long time, they would say that if they ever had the occasion to witness me running, they would have looked for whatever was chasing me!  My husband has always been a runner & made it look easy…must be his military roots. I have been supportive of his running but always half-assed in my attempts at running and never, I mean never, did it ever occur to me that I would get to a place that I would (gasp!) ENJOY the run or make a personal goal to run a marathon.  In fact, I used to swear in my head the whole time I was suffering to get to the next street lamp! But here I am.  It is January of 2011 & I am 41 years old, the mother of 2 boys, a nurse & I have not only decided, but REGISTERED!! to run a marathon.  But there it is...I have.  How did I get here?  Well, it started as a lark really...there was a triathlon training group starting at our gym & I thought "Hey, why not?  I can swim & bike no problem....surely I can suck up a 3 mile run in the interest of togetherness?" So, my husband and I sign up for this triathlon. I'm not quite sure exactly when it happened, but low & behold, I started to actually LIKE getting out there to run!  And from there it was a slippery slope into obsession.....a 592 mile obsession this year.  Yes, that's right.  In 2010, I logged 592.3 miles to be exact. Along with 1 triathalon & 2 half-marathons.  Now, let me set the record straight: I am not by any stretch of the imagination fast....far from it.  I am like a turtle out on the streets.  But I'm running.  So fast forward to today & I have decided to take the marathon plunge.  October 2nd, 2011 is the date & this is the record of my journey toward it. 

3 comments:

Karin said...

Although my lofty running goals are a lot closer to 60 miles than 600, I will be happy to be there for your boosted moral support! But if you're up for sprint training, I'm your woman! This stumpy body was built for short and sweet....mental marathons only.

The Unexpected Runner said...

Hatchie, my brain needs a break....that's part of what I like about running. My mind wanders or zones out completely. It's my personal time, my sanity zone, my personal cone of silence...complete with ipod soundtrack ;-D

I welcome all supporters! I'm going to need every one!

Anonymous said...

Not bad of a start! Keep running!