Saturday, May 7, 2011

10K under 1 hour....Hell Yeah, I can do that!

Got up this morning & the sun was shining (finally!) and though our day was packed with stuff we needed to do, I needed to get out there and run....not just run, but I felt like racing!  As luck would have it there was a 10K locally.  Just made it there under the wire before registration closed.  I haven't run a 10K in a year & last year it wasn't pretty.  1:06 & I gave it everything I had and still was at the back of the pack.  Even in the 2 half-marathons I ran 10K splits better than that....and thought I should be able to pull off a 1:02, but what I really wanted was to break that 1 hour mark. I was really feeling it today, & holy crap!, not only did I beat 1 hour, I smoked it with a 58:25!!!!!  Not only that, but, get this......I came in 2nd in my old lady age category!  My first medal!  Check this out:


Let me tell you, it felt goooood! 

Now, I'll be honest and admit it was a small field & a pregnant girl & a guy pushing a jogging stroller both kicked my ass......but hey, did you see this:



9:25 miles...that rocks!  Oh, and I ran a negative split.  My 5K split was 29:30.  Another new experience: picking off runners instead of being picked off.  That's pretty darn cool!  No one got by me in the second half of the race. 

Welcome, Mr Sunshine, you may stay a while!  I am a happy runner-gal :D

6 comments:

Michael said...

Wow!!! That's completely AWESOME!! Way to go! A PR and an age group award....doesn't get better than that!

Nelly said...

Nice job! Running a good time and winning anything is great!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Hi! new follower, congrats on your great run and Personal best on a 10 k! I am going to run my first 10k next month and I am as nervous as I am excited! You rock!

Unknown said...

Congrats on your medal and PR! Awesome.

Holly said...

Thanks for your comment on my blog -- I will be in the back of the pack WITH you at the Wineglass! I will be thrilled just to finish it!

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

Awesome! An age group medal! I hope to achieve that one day too!