Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Mental Heath Regained...

Today was my first day off after a long 3 days of short-staffed, stressed out work at the hospital...I logged a lot of running up & down the hallway over the course of 3 back to back 12 hour shifts. I was tired. Slept like the dead last night & despite the light rain, knew I needed to haul my butt outside & run if I was going to have any chance of regaining some sanity...'cause it's back to it tomorrow bright & early. Don't get me wrong...I love being a nurse but sometimes it wears on my last nerve & I knew I needed to recover for my own sake as well as for my patients' sake. I'm a MUCH nicer person when I run :)

Anyway, out the door I went, iPod blaring some G&R LOUD! Up the first hill & 2 miles in I'm already starting to revel in my happy place...it's very peaceful there & I love it. Mad music done time to tone it down a bit! I do my best thinking out on the road. Today though, I just let myself drift & by the time I got home my Nike+ said 11 miles! It's a good day now. Not even too bothered by the prospect of going to stand in the rain for Thing 2's last mile race of the track season. Funny tidbit of trivia: every sport practice/game in the district was cancelled today due to rain.....except track! We runners are a hearty bunch :)

On another note...anyone ever used a pace group for a marathon? I just found out my marathon will have pacers available, but I fall right in between 2 pace times so I'm not sure what to do. Opinions?

Happy running & mental peace!

1 comment:

Cari Mugz said...

I love music when I run...helps me mentally... great post!