Saturday, January 5, 2013

2012 in Review...

Yesterday was my 2 year bloggaversary! Yay! I know I haven't been the most diligent blogger, but you guys have been hanging in there for me & continue to be so supportive of my running adventures....THANK YOU!!!!!

2012 was a year of just plain FUN!  I did not meet all my goals, but I had SO much fun & plenty of adventures that I could not have imagined when I began to plan out my year.

By the numbers:

Run: 1339.4 miles run   - Goal was 1500, however, I am going to count this as achieved because I converted more to 'time on my feet' training for the 50K. So by the hours, this is 278 hours, 36 minutes & 13 seconds ON MY FEET!!! Over 50 hours more running this year! WOW! (Now I know what happened to all my 'free' time ;-D)

Bike: 225.5 miles + untracked mileage spinning classes.  All done from August - December....when I 'took back' my promise to stay out of triathlon.  Glad I did as I feel better for it!

Swim: 9400 yards.  Not much, but 9400 yards more than I wanted to do.  I can DO the swimming & do fairly well at it, but I don't enjoy it.  Too many years of forced lap swimming during waterpolo practice in University. 

Crosstrain: Core & Strength training classes: 14 hours 40 minutes. Again, primarily from Sept-Dec. 


Races:

Marathons: 2 (Toronto & Wineglass): 4:43 PR at Toronto 

50K: Finger Lakes Fifties. Hot, Hard & so so glad I did it! 

Ragnar Relay: Ragnar Cape Cod....full on crazy fun!

Trail Races: The Hoot 5KTortoise & Hare 10KTanglewood 20K, Finger Lakes Fifties, Trail of Terror 25ish miler. 2nd place AG finish in the 5K & 1st overall in the trail of terror fiasco...LOL!

Triathlons: 1 Cortland Tri for the United Way  (3rd place AG) I know I said I wasn't going to do it, but I'm SO glad I did! Got my tri mojo back & had such a great experience I might even brave clipless pedals & proper bike shoes this year...OMG, I'm scared already!

Half Marathons: Red Baron Half Marathon PR 2:05:02 (and for those who have wondered, SD is back biking and full strength, running easy & slow.  Did his first run without the brace last week...says it still hurts & he is frustrated with his lack of speed, but I believe he'll get there in time. 

Wildlife: 2 Bears & 1 Big Ass Rattlesnake! , plus too many grass snakes to count...which I still don't like even though I know they are harmless.  


The Body:

It is better! Since the spring I have been basically living with plantar fasciitis & really just hoping it goes away.  It wasn't really bothering me much when I ran so I sucked it up through FLF.  In August, I did some research/self-diagnosing and realized that I felt much better when I was tri training.  Just overall stronger.  So I registered for a tri on a months notice and switched tracks.  Ended up with a slower marathon time but rocked the tri & best of all, loved it.  The foot got a bit better, but I ended up relying heavily on KT tape and ibuprofin during races.  The worst was that I was hobbling at work.  So in December I went to see a chiropractor....what a difference it has made!  Turns out my right hip way crazy mis-aligned (probably the result of my many trail falls) and was affecting my gait.  Hip realigned, along with some fascia stripping (man, that HURTS) & I am a new gal....off the anti-inflammatories and tape and walking normally!!!! I am SO thankful I found what works for me!


I have some 2013 goals....but that is another post.....now off to cheer on Thing 1 at his Indoor Track meet!




9 comments:

TriMOEngr said...

That is one heckuva year. Always awesome when you find what works for you. Can't wait to see what 2013 will bring you. Happy New Year!

Kate Geisen said...

Oh, now you have me thinking about the chiropractor. I've been able to push off doing anything about my issues bc they don't bother me much when I run, but being pain-free right out of bed sounds lovely.

I went clipless in 2011, and I was so scared about it. On my road bike, it wasn't a bad transition at all; I'm still very conscious of getting my foot out for stops, but I haven't fallen yet. On my mountain bike I've had several pedal-related falls, but That's gotten better. On both bikes, I've been really happy with the difference. And like I said, after being scared to do it for a year, after my first ride I was like "what was so scary about that?"

What a great year you had! Looking forward to reading about the next one!

Ransick said...

Nice solid year of training and racing! Glad you got the pf under control. I never would have thought to go to the chiropractor.

Unknown said...

Good luck with the chiropractor and your upcoming races. Keep blogging!

XLMIC said...

I also had some great improvements with visits to a chiropractor...something I had never considered before this year. Good for us for trying something new :)

May 2013 be amazing for you!

Christy @ My Dirt Road Anthem: A Runner's Blog said...

Busy year! Glad the body is doing better!

Jamie said...

You had a great year! Can't wait to hear about your 2013 plans!

Suz and Allan said...

What a year! Glad your body is hanging in there and doing better.

Anonymous said...

Happy Blogversary!!! I'm glad you are recovering well from your PF, hope you will be completely pain free very soon.