Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Running fashion....well, not really, but it's fun :-D

I run outside.  I have no stamina or desire to subject myself to the 'dreadmill' unless absolutely necessary...it needs to be REALLY bad out there for me to concede the weather to it.   Yesterday was one of those days. -17F....yup, that's cold.  Realizing that 1 mile is a chore on said dreaded treadmill, off to the internet I go to research treadmill workouts (yeah, I know I'm lame) because I know that if I don't have an action plan, off I will come at about the 10 minute mark, feeling that walking over hot coals would be preferable to staying on that endless belt to hell.  So, in all seriousness, I spent 45 minutes reading over plans and writing them down so that I could run 5K on that hideous torture device...yup, that's a total of 31 minutes of running including warm up and cool down! LOL!  It turns out that doing 3 minute speed repeats was the only thing that kept me going and, thankfully, I was able to finish the 5K with a modicum of sanity remaining!  Today, THANK GOD!, was warmer .... a balmy 28F...so I was able to head out for a proper 5 mile tempo run.  Felt SO SO SO good! What a difference enjoying the experience makes!  Yup, was able to bang out 5 miles @ 10:27 pace....yay!

Anyway, I have a somewhat eclectic fashion sense when it comes to running. Mostly, I will bundle on as many clothes as the weather requires and head out there. Recently, I purchased a pack of kneesocks and my reputation has grown and now I'm getting requests for photos of my outrageous socks...so here they are:

The Original Socks

Yup, they are bright...and yes, I'll admit, quite possibly an eyesore. BUT, they do help keep me visible and if you have ever had the close call of being either:
  1. almost hit by a car
  2. or received an ice cold slush soaker from a passing motorist
then you know  the value of being visible. Now, this was a 3-pack, so I feel I have to share the others which have also made appearances in the dual cause of warmth & visibility:



I was happy with these guys...they did their job...however, when I was in Kohl's last week, I came across these ones....hee hee...

Happy Valentine's Day!


Happy running!