Tuesday, January 3, 2012

Akk!!!!! I registered for my 1st Ultra!!!!!

I am feeling slightly nauseous....but EXCITED!  I have registered for the Finger Lakes Fifties on June 30th! They have a 25K/50K/50Mile options.  I am doing the 50K!  The great thing about this race is that the 50K runners have the 50 mile time limit.....so, hey, might be enough for me ;-D

Here is a course description:

The Finger Lakes Fifties trail runs consists of 25K, 50K, and 50Mile races. All three races will use the same loop course, starting and finishing at The Potomac Group Campsite located off of Potomac Road. You will be doing multiple loops in The Finger Lakes National Forest. The course is a 16.5-mile loop covering single-track trail, grassy pastures (complete with grazing cows and cow pies), and dirt roads. There is 1292' of climb per loop. 25K race = 1 loop, 50K race = 2 loops, 50 mile race = 3 loops plus a "baby loop" of 0.5 miles. 50K & 50Mile races start @ 6:30am and 25K race starts @ 8am. There are five manned aid stations (one that you will access twice actually making it six stations) per loop.

 Any suggestions on how to train for this????  Having never done this, especially going off-road onto a trail, is new territory...scary territory...it must be much harder considering the course times. 

So bring on your tips, suggestions.....SUPPORT!!!!! I need it all!!!!
Training?
Hydrating: handheld, camelback?
Fueling?

13 comments:

Kathy said...

wow! how exciting!

One of my 2012 goals is to get on the trail more - you are going to have so much fun!

Holly said...

Wow! I have no advice whatsoever but I am excited for you and look forward to following your training!

Coy Martinez said...

I've done two trail half marathons and yes it is VERY different. Both of the runs that I have done are single file on a single track, extremely narrow. You walk the uphills and jog and run the rest. My rule is always to protect myself and make sure that you have your footing first because it's so easy to roll an ankle or take a bad step! Enjoy, enjoy, enjoy. I would do nothing but trail races if I could.

Jamie said...

Congratulations, that is so exciting! I would love to run an ultra someday (I say this without even completing a marathon yet), I'm excited to hear about your training.

I had the same feeling of slight nausea when my husband registered us for our first marathon last night!

Jim ... 50after40 said...

Awesome!!! Props to you ... I keep threatening to register for one, but I'm a chicken so far! Good luck.

abbi said...

Exciting! I am terrible on trails but love it which is why I keep signing up for stuff to get more experience. Practice on trails as much as you can to get familiar with it. I even try running off the edge of the road somedays to work on uneven footing since I won't venture onto a trail alone.

abbi said...

Oh...and I love my Nathan hydration vest. I hate handhelds but know lots of people love those!

Penny said...

That is so exciting. I have only done a few 4 mile trail .It was a lot of fun. It definitely works different muscles and you do have to watch your footing. You will do awesome. So proud of you for taking the next step in your running journey.

Michael said...

Wow, congrats!! That's pretty exciting. I wish I could offer you some great ideas, but I have no idea.....Good Luck!

Ransick said...

Congrats! I've never gone longer than a half mary but if I ever jump into something as long as a trail 50k, I would drop some money on different socks, shoes, and lube until I found what resulted in the least blisters for me. Looking forward to following along!

Marie said...

WOW! That is just awesome! I've only dreamed of running an ultra, so I have no big advice to give, but congrats on taking on such a big challenge!

Kate Geisen said...

Wow, congratulations! We're in the same boat. :) Mine is in April...yikes! The longest trail race I've done so far is a 30k. I found a training plan online. I'll forward you the link to look at when I get home. Also, I've heard the book "Relentless Forward Progress" is a great resource.

Good luck! Looking forward to keeping up with your training.

Kate Geisen said...

Here's one suggested by a friend: http://www.trailrunevents.com/ul/schedule-50k.asp