Monday, January 16, 2012

Monday Musings...

I have had many things going through my head this weekend....some funny, some not so much. First of all I am so saddened by the news that Sherry Arnold is presumed dead & 2 men have been arrested. My thoughts and prayers go out to her family and community. I can only hope that she was 'just' hit by a car and did not have to suffer a much more horrible fate. This also made me mad because I DID think of her when I ran yesterday and altered my regular route to stay in a more populated area. I was mad because for a moment I was afraid & I should not have to be. It seems like giving in to change what I like due to fear. Where is the line between fear & common sense? It is hazy at the moment.

I spent most of my weekend in my alter ego persona "Chauffeur Mum". Really it is quite glamorous. And sometimes hilarious. As I was struggling with how I would fit in my long run with track & hockey practices taking up the whole morning & early afternoon, a brilliant solution presented itself: stay at the Highschool when dropping Thing 1 off for track & get 8 miles in while he runs, then take him to hockey and finish off my last five during hockey practice. Brilliant! It was really cold so I bundled up which resulted in SD shaking his head & saying 'I've got to get a picture of this!' & Thing 1 saying 'you're not going to park where my friends can SEE you, are you?!?'.

It wasn't that much of a spectacle was it???? Not that I cared. But I did park in the front parking lot so as not to mortally embarrass my son. On the other hand, the hockey parents already think I'm weird for preferring to run instead of standing around an outdoor rink watching kids that all look the same practice....so I had no trouble walking in there after I had my 13.1 done ;).

Shout outs to Shalane, Desi & Kara at the Olympic trials....what an exciting race! Ryan, Abdi & Meb, you guys weren't slouches either!

8 comments:

Jamie said...

It is really sad what happened to Sherry, I don't run alone that often so I don't really have to change what I do. But if I did run alone, I'm sure I would be changing my routine a little bit.

Great job getting your long run in!

Kate Geisen said...

I think you look pretty cute!

I've run during volleyball practices, and I've come into tournaments post-race looking oh so lovely and still in running clothes. Like you, I may have a bit of a reputation with the other parents. :)

Ransick said...

That is great time management getting a run in while driving kids around! It is funny your son didn't want his friends to see you :-). My son would have said the same thing.

Marie said...

Yes, very sad about what happened to Sherry too. :(. I run alone a lot and you just reminded me that I need to buy one of hose handheld mace.

I love how you worked your 13 miler in! You go, girl!

Unknown said...

Love the cold weather running garb - thats pretty much how I looked running this weekend and tonight!

Suz and Allan said...

Great job getting your run in!

Coy Martinez said...

Trust me, I get the same looks when I get in the pool with my daughters swim team while the other parents sit in the chairs and watch. At first I felt funny but now I know it's more about me getting the job done then how they think I look in my zebra laden swim suit. HAHAHAHA!

I dress pretty funny when I run out in the cold. Gotta layer just right and that means making wardrobe sacrifices! :)

Dr. said...

Way to go on getting your run in, despite busy schedules! Those other moms are totally just jealous :)