Sunday, January 1, 2012

Cookie & Hat 4 Mile Race/Resolution Run

PR! 4 Miles in 36:45!!!

I'm told I had the most embarrasing outfit in the race!
My 2 winners!
I cajoled my family (signed them up without asking them) into the local New Years Day race.  I told them they would thank me for it later.  Unbeknownst to me, the race organizer is insane (in a good way) & reworked the course to make it more 'exciting'....by exciting I mean muddy. But it really was fun & I posted a new PR (well....since I haven't run this distance in a race before...but it IS better than my best 4 mile split in longer races ;-D).  I had a goal in mind (35 minutes) when I started & it was looking good for the first mile (yay, 8:40 split) & then we went off-road. Really, really off-road. Like crossing a narrow rickety wooden creek bridge, having to jump a muddy water filled ditch (didn't quite make it....had a choice to join a line but didn't want to wait so I got a thorn in my hand from a prickle bush & my shiny white Kinvera's got a muddy soaking)....and my 2nd mile was a freakin' 9:45! Which is not bad.  No one was passing me or anything, but those woods were slippery & treacherous! We all had to slow it down to make it through without breaking an ankle!  Part way into the 3rd mile we got out of the woods and onto a gravel track, then it was back on the road to finish up the last mile. My 2 best miles were the first & last, going 8:40 & 8:47. Not very consistant running but it was fun! As I came out of the woods I spied Thing 2 off in the distance.  I was closing in on him.  At a half mile to the finish I thought I was in striking distance. At a 1/4 mile to the finish I came up RIGHT behind him. He saw me & took off like a bat out of hell!!!!  I tried, I really did, but I COULD NOT CATCH HIM!  I am so proud of him. He kicked it in & now I am officially the slowest runner in the house!  He was 4th in his Age group & 98/200 overall with a time of just over 36 minutes (he forgot to stop his watch).  The others didn't do too bad either.  Thing 1 was 6th overall with a time of 25:02 & snagged a 2nd place age group award!  SD was 14th overall & got his own age group award: 3rd place with a time of 27:20!  As for me, I was 8/32 in my age group (hot damn, that's awesome!) & 103/200 overall! 

Race socks...officially broken in
When everyone else moaned when they found out about the mud, Thing 1 said 'awesome'!

This was also my  Resolution Run for Amanda @ Run to the Finish, so score 8 running points for HBBC today!


Kinvara's broken in!
If I'd known these hand made cookies were the prize, I might have run faster! But at least Thing 1 shared :-)

7 comments:

Holly said...

Great race! Your outfit was super cute!

Jamie said...

Great job today! My race was also very inconsistent today pace-wise, oops!

Also, I love my Kinvaras! I didn't wear them today (Mirages) because I've had an injury which is gone now but I don't want to risk it. I just wear them on short runs for now.

Heather said...

Sounds like a great Day! The most fun I ever had running was a trail run that involved two stream crossings and a mud bog! I have put one set of shoes aside just for those!

Ransick said...

That's funny you signed your family up without telling them. Mine would have rolled their eyes and said "way to waste your money". They aren't runners though.

Congrats on a great race and a new PR! You all did really well. What a great way to start off 2012!

Amanda@runninghood said...

Awesome job getting out there! And how fun that your family did it with you. Those cookies look yummy and would have made me run faster if I knew I'd win them. :) Congrats on the great race. Happy New Year!

abbi said...

Great job on the 4-miler...love that you just signed up the family, definitely a great way to start 2012...and those cookies look amazing, even after the holiday binge when I'm pretty sick of seeing sugar!

Marie said...

You rock! I LOVE your outfit! What are they talking about?! congrats on the PR! What a way to start the new year! Woohoo!