Monday, January 23, 2012

DFL

I learned a new acronym this morning: DFL. It stands for Dead F**ing Last.  I am, by the nature of signing up for running events, now on several email lists. This morning I received one of those from Active.com.  Sometimes I delete them right away, sometimes something catches my eye as I skim over them & I keep it to read later.  This morning the article was Stories from last place. These are the stories that inspire me & bring a tear to my eye.  I think it is because it very well could be me. I can't relate to the elite runners....I can't even fathom being able to run a marathon in 4 hours let alone 2!  But the folks who against all odds persevere and FINISH are true heroes to me.  They often do it alone, under adverse conditions with little support.  They are the really strong ones & my hats off to them! It reminded me of this video I watched from a woman named Ruth Cooper who ran her 1st marathon at the Wineglass Marathon...the same one I ran. Check it out:

Wineglass Marathon.wmv

18 comments:

bobbi said...

this has me in tears - amazing...

Unknown said...

I haven't read the stories yet and haven't watched the video yet, but I'm one of those DFL runners. Being at the back of the pack can be pretty liberating because it lets you see ahead to all you have yet to accomplish. Going to go watch the video now...

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I was crying at .75 miles and bawling at the end. So proud of her and every person that throws their hat in the ring to be a marathoner, even if they don't finish. The hope that you too can be an athlete and finish 26.2 miles is admirable. One day...

Ransick said...

I love those inspirational stories but have to wait to the family goes to bed so they don't see me tear up :-).

Jose said...

She didn't give up and she finished. That's all that matters. Awesome video.

Jamie said...

I loved that video! I will feel honored to run in her footsteps on September 30, 2012!

Dr. said...

I can't relate to the elite runners either!

Kate Geisen said...

I think one of the best things about the blog world is the ability to see that not everyone is above average and that being slow or last or whatever doesn't mean you're any less of a runner. And I've never achieved DFL, but I've been 3rd last. Whatevs.

Michael said...

It's always so amazing to see people's journeys. I joke about being last all the time, but have never actually been anywhere close. It takes some guts to actually be there and keep preserving! I can't imagine being at mile 21 and them telling me my marathon wouldn't count! Good for her for pushing on regardless! What a story.

SPM said...

Thank you for sharing! Those were amazing stories. I'm not sure I'm mentally tough enough (yet?) to have done what they did, but I think that's one thing I'm working on and learning to do: overcome the mental obstacles that usually get into my way.

The Green Girl said...

Wow. This really made me cry. Her finish time was 30 minutes faster than my first marathon.

Unknown said...

Thank you for sharing this!

XLMIC said...

So awesome! And agreed...more inspiring to me than elite marathoners :)

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

I did it! I read all of your posts! I love your stories and that your family runs together (or at least on the same day)!!

The Unexpected Runner said...

Wow! Hope you didn't slip into a coma ;-)
Thanks! I am humbled that you spent that kind of time reading them all....welcome to my crazy corner of the world:)

The Unexpected Runner said...

When the race director heard her story they kept the course open and she did finish! It was awesome!

Rachelle Q said...

That video is so amazing! My eyes filled with tears more than once. Watching her brought back so many memories of my first marathon and the feelings that I went through. Thanks for sharing it:)

Suz and Allan said...

I haven't even watched it yet but the comments already have me convinced I'm going to cry. Thanks for sharing this from a perspective we don't often think about.