Sunday, January 29, 2012

FYTO 5K Race Report

Like the 12 million other followers of Adam's blog, I signed up for the Freeze Your Thorns Off 5K Virtual Race. I did it Saturday.  It was my intention to go for a run after dropping Thing 1 off at the Indoor Track bus & get my run in before heading to XLMIC's Old Stomping Grounds for his 5 minutes & 11 seconds of glory.  (Yes, That's right, my kid can run a 5:11 mile! Woohoo!)  He was by no means the fastest, &, as always, his response to his run was "I can go faster", but it WAS a 5 second PR & in my rose-tinted mother glasses, it was AWESOME to see how far he has come this season!


But I digress, as Thing 1 can only seem to apprise us of the race schedule AFTER he has left for the meet, we had to leave earlier than planned.  Ithaca, btw, is one of my favourite places to go around here as they actually have decent restaurants & it's granola, tree-hugging atmosphere reminds me of the home of my heart: Victoria, BC, where we spent the early years of our marriage & where our kids were born.  That said, my run in the late afternoon was after being stuffed full of a delicious brunch at Cafe Dewitt....reminded me of Sunday's at home....sigh. Despite the full belly, not a bad showing over 4 miles: and best of all, NO PAIN.  I haven't said anything up til now but I have been experiencing shin & hip pain over the past couple weeks & have scaled my mileage WAY down & done tons of icing & stretching.  It seems to be working, because apart from a couple little aches, it was a good easy run.  Phew! Now I just have to see if it hold over a longer distance. 

7 comments:

Frickin' Fabulous at 40 said...

Where were you born, here or Canada? Just curious.

Have you heard about the benefits of Omega 3's in regargd to joint pain and arthritis? My parents have been taken it religiously and are doing really well (my mom was suffering so much she looked like she had scoliosis from hip and back pain and even had some epidural shots- she's completely upright now!) and I take it sporadically since I haven't been in any pain in a while (dumb!). We get the huge bottle of Sam's Club's Omega 3-6-9 for less than $15. They're kind of big pills, so my aunt spends a little more and gets Schiff's Mega Red at Sam's and you only need 1 tiny pill of their's per day. You should look into it. Can't hurt! It's great for heart health!

Coy Martinez said...

That's a great run and the best part is that you were able to do it! Better than the alternative :)

I had some hip pain a few weeks back and I was worried that it was going to turn into something bad but it went away. I'm still trying to figure out what it was all about. Wonder if you need new shoes??

I was reading about about the Omega's. I have a friend of mine who's on those and she's seeing some improvement. Might be some thing to check out?

Jamie said...

Great job on your run, I'm glad you had no pain!

Maybe I should look into Omega 3's (like everyone is suggesting), I don't have arthritis but I do have foot pain every now and then.

Ransick said...

It was fun virtually racing with you this weekend :-). Nice job and yeah for no pain.

You should be proud a your kids 5:11 mile. That is smokin fast!

Marie said...

Yay for no pain again! Keep icing! Great job on the virtual run!

Kate Geisen said...

Yeah, I've been dealing with some hip pain and heel pain. I've been keeping it at bay with stretching, and I'm pretty sure the problem is the fact that both my trail and road shoes are more than a year old and have lots and lots of miles on them...just have to get some bills paid first. Sigh.

Great run! I've been lucky to manage 10 min miles under good circumstances, let alone on a full stomach! And 5:11!!! Wow, that's fast! Surely you get part of the credit. After all, you birthed him. :)

5 Miles Past Empty said...

Wow!! You kid is fast!! He must get it from someone? :)

Glad your pain is subsiding!! I take 1000-3000 mg of omega-3 every day!! I can say it has been beneficial to me as well. I also tak glucosamine and chondroitin to keep my joints lubricated. :)

I am enjoying catching up on your blog!!!